Pancakes recipe with a twist:
Recipe of the day is this delicious American style Quark pancakes created by the fabulous Baker Brothers.
This pancakes recipe uses Lake District Dairy Co. Quark instead of crème fraiche which means 177 fewer calories per portion, 52% less fat per serving and 124% more protein per serving.
Recipe serves: 6
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
2 eggs separated
1 tsp icing sugar
Pinch of salt
50g The Lake District Dairy Co. Quark
80ml of milk
100g plus of plain flour (extra if needed)
1/4tsp baking powder
Tray of blueberries
Extra The Lake District Dairy Co. Quark for topping
- In a bowl whisk the egg yolks.
- Add the milk and The Lake District Dairy. Co Quark and mix. Add the sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly sprinkle in the flour whilst whisking. (You want it to be the consistency of thickened cream).
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites for a few minutes until you have thick peaks.
- Carefully fold into the other mixture, trying not to knock the air out. (A metal spoon is the best thing for the job as it cuts through the mixture without knocking the air out.)
- Heat a frying pan and add some butter, then dollop in a large spoonful of the mixture.
- Fry for 2 mins, turn over when golden and crispy and cook for a further 1 min.
- Cook the rest of the mixture in the same way and serve straight away with a dollop of The Lake District Dairy Co. Quark, a drizzle of maple syrup and a few blueberries.