Mixed Autumn Squash and Wild Garlic Medley finished with Toasted Seeds and Croutons:
Cooking time: 4 hours high (this dish is not recommended for cooking on the low setting.)
1 small butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into chunks)
1 small crown prince squash (peeled, seeded and cut into chunks)
1 small spaghetti squash (peeled, seeded and cut into chunks)
1 large onion (roughly diced)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
2 fennel bulbs (cut into chunks)
2 tbsp plain flour
400g chopped tomatoes (tinned)
300ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
To dress the dish, you’ll need:
2 punnets of garlic cress
100g wild rocket
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 slice of extra thick white bread
1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the oil to a pan and sauté the onions until golden, add the garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. (If you have a Crock-Pot slow cooker with a sauté function, you can use the removable pot on the hob.)
- Stir in the flour and add the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to the boil.
- Add all the chopped squash and fennel to the Crock-Pot slow cooker. Stir in the tomato mix, ensuring all the vegetables are covered. Cover and cook for 4hrs on high.
- Toast the caraway, cumin, fennel, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds in a hot, dry pan for 2-3 minutes. Cut the bread into chunky croutons and lightly sauté these in a hot pan with the olive oil.
- Season to taste and serve in warm bowls. Finish by scattering the toasted seeds and croutons over the top and garnish with the garlic cress.