Quark & Lemon Mousse Recipe:
Recipe of the day is this delicious Quark & Lemon Mousse, it is zingy, light and fresh, perfect after a light meal, or whenever you fancy a treat.
Using The Lake District Dairy Co. Quark instead of double cream in this recipe means 57% fewer calories, 92% less saturated fat and 31% more protein.
Recipe serves: 6
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 3 – 6 hours to chill
2 unwaxed lemons
4 large eggs, separated
50g caster sugar
1 sachet (3 level tsps/15ml) powdered gelatine
200g The Lake District Dairy Co. Quark
3 tbsps. (45ml) Limoncello (optional)
Extra The Lake District Dairy Co. Quark and curls of lemon zest, to decorate (optional)
- Using a fine grater, grate the zest from the lemons into a medium bowl. Squeeze and strain the juice and keep to one side.
- Put the gelatine in a small bowl and mix with the lemon juice. Allow to “sponge” (swell) for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, add the yolks and sugar to the lemon zest and whisk until light and pale-lemon coloured.
- Set the bowl of sponged gelatine in a pan of simmering water and leave until melted and clear. Stir into the yolk mixture.
- Beat The Lake District Dairy Co. Quark (with the Limoncello, if using) until smooth. Then fold the egg yolk mixture into it.
- Now whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and gently fold into the mix. Pour into a pretty dish or individual glass bowls. Level the surface and chill overnight or for 3-6 hours.
- Serve decorated with extra The Lake District Co. Quark and curls of lemon zest.