A classic Cheesecake Recipe:
All the flavour and creamy decadence of a New York Cheesecake, but not as naughty!
Using The Lake District Dairy Co. Quark instead of cream cheese in this recipe means 438 fewer calories per portion, 76% less fat per portion and 2.4x more protein per portion.
Recipe serves: 8 – 12
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
125g digestive biscuits, broken
70g caster sugar
50g unsalted butter, melted
1000g The Lake District Dairy Co. Quark
85g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
3 large eggs, plus 2 yolks
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tsps (10ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan/190°C/gas mark 5. Butter the bottom and sides of a 23cm spring form tin. Line the sides of the tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- Pulse the digestive biscuits and sugar in a food processor until fine crumbs. Add the butter and pulse until mixed. Press this evenly into bottom of prepared tin and bake on a lower oven shelf for about 15 mins until golden brown and set. Transfer to wire rack to cool for 10 mins.
- Using an electric food mixer (not food processor) or electric hand whisk, beat The Lake District Dairy Co. Quark, butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs and yolks one at a time until fully incorporated, then the lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- Take a large piece of thick kitchen foil and place the lined tin in the centre and wrap foil tightly around bottom and sides of pan (this will prevent any water leaking into biscuit base). Set in a roasting pan, pour the cheesecake filling into the tin, and smooth the top.
- Pour boiling water into roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the cheesecake and carefully transfer to oven. Take for 1 hour until top of cheesecake is golden brown, the edges are set, and centre is still slightly wobbly. Lift cheesecake out, drain well and remove foil from the outside. Cool completely, then chill in refrigerator overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- To serve, remove the tin and baking parchment. Cut the cheesecake with a long, thin-bladed knife. Serve with seasonal berries.