Simple and quick enough for breakfast, yet impressive enough to serve for supper or lunch with friends and family, this frittata is loaded with goodness. If you’re not a fan of fish, replace it with some cooked ham or chicken, or for a vegetarian option, try chickpeas or roasted sweet potato.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5-10 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
6 spring onions, finely sliced
150g hot smoked salmon
Zest of half a lemon
¼ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of ground nutmeg
10 large, free-range eggs
1 tbsp crème fraîche
25g feta cheese, thinly sliced (optional)
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Warm the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan with an oven-proof handle and sauté the spring onions over a gentle heat for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the watercress and stir, gently, until the watercress begins to wilt.
- Remove the skin from the hot smoked salmon, and flake it into pieces into the pan. Add the lemon zest and dried chilli, if using.
- In a bowl, season the eggs generously with salt, black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg, add the crème fraiche and whisk until combined. Pour into the pan and cook over a gentle heat, moving the mixture around with a spatula every now and then, until the bottom of the frittata is set and the top is still wobbly.
- Scatter over the feta cheese (if using).
- Pop the frittata under the grill for another 2-3 minutes, to finish cooking the top.