These delicious muffins will definitely fill a hole. Packed with bran and chunks of Pink Lady apple, it’s like an apple crumble in a cake.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
For the muffins
1 Pink Lady apple, cored
200g self raising flour, sieved
½ tsp baking powder
175g caster sugar
zest and juice 1 orange
3 medium eggs
100ml sunflower oil
For the crumble
50g plain flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
25g rolled porridge oats
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan oven, gas mark 5). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Coarsely grate half the Pink Lady apple and put into a large bowl. Dice the remaining apple and add the flour, oatbran, baking powder, sugar and orange zest.
- Lightly beat together the orange juice, eggs, oil and buttermilk in a jug until combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour and stir with a spatula until just combined. Divide equally between the paper cases.
- For the crumble, rub together the flour, oats, sugar and butter in a bowl until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle over the top of the cakes and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until lightly golden and risen.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to go cold.
Recipe courtesy of www.pinkladyapples.co.uk