This comforting pudding with a hint of rum makes a great alternative to the traditional Christmas Pudding.
- Serves 8
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 3 hours
- Allergens: Dairy, Gluten, Eggs
- 1 jar Opies Figs with Luxardo® Dark Rum including the reserved rum syrup
- 2 pieces of Opies Stem Ginger, chopped and reserved syrup (for the sauce)
- 125g Margarine, plus extra for greasing the bowl
- 350g Mixed Fruit (like Raisins, Sultanas, Currants)
- 1 large eating apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 85g Light Brown Soft Sugar
- 85g Dark Brown Soft Sugar
- 100g Breadcrumbs
- 100g Self-Raising Flour
- For the Hot Rum & Ginger Sauce:
- 6 tbsp Cornflour
- 1½ pints Milk
- 3 tbsp Caster Sugar, or to taste
- 3 tbsp Reserved Ginger Syrup (from the jar of Opies Stem Ginger)
- 3 tbsp Reserved Rum Syrup (from the jar of Opies Figs with Luxardo Dark Rum)
- To make the pudding, grease a 2-litre pudding bowl and line the base with a circle of baking paper.
- Grease a large sheet of baking paper and lay it on top of a large sheet of foil, margarine side up. Fold a pleat in the middle of each sheet.
- Roughly chop 125g of figs and set aside. Place the remaining figs, margarine and 75ml of the reserved rum syrup into a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into a large bowl, add the chopped figs, together with the remaining pudding ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Tip the mixture into the pudding basin, cover with the buttered paper-foil sheet, tie with string and trim.
- Place the basin in a large saucepan, with a piece of scrunched-up foil at the bottom (to prevent the basin touching the base of the pan). Fill the pan with boiling water so it comes halfway up the sides of the basin. Cover and simmer for 3 hrs, topping up the water as needed.
- Remove and leave to cool.
To make the sauce
- Blend the cornflour with 6 tbsp of cold milk.
- Heat the remaining milk until almost boiling and add it to the cornflour mixture, stirring continuously.
- Return to the pan and stir over a moderate heat until thickened. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 1–2 minutes, still stirring. Pour over the pudding and serve