Spiced beetroot & apple breakfast muffins with crunchy hazelnut topping.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
275g self-raising flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 heaped tsp ground mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
125g unsalted butter, melted
60g caster sugar
250g natural cooked beetroot, grated coarsely**
2 (small to medium) dessert apples, cored (total weight approx. 250g uncored) & grated coarsely**
For the hazelnut topping:
75g self-raising flour
1 tsp ground mixed spice
40g unsalted butter, cut into little cubes
75g demerara sugar
75g blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
**Make sure you grate the beetroot and apples coarsely and not finely as if grated finely they will release too much liquid which will affect the consistency and cooking time of the muffin mix.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases. Preheat the oven to 220°C or 200°C (if using a fan oven).
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, melted butter, sugar and milk. Pour into the flour and mix very lightly – don’t worry if it looks lumpy. Finally, gently fold through the grated beetroot and apple and spoon into the muffin cases.
- To make the topping, stir the mixed spice through the flour, then add the butter, sugar and nuts.
- Rub between your fingers and thumbs until crumbly and well mixed. Sprinkle evenly over the muffins.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch.