Perfect for summer entertaining and picnics, this simple tart is quick and easy to prepare with a delicious result. The sweet and sour shallots just melt in the mouth.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
16 shallots, peeled and halved
150g asparagus tips
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
320g ready-rolled puff pastry
100g Dolcelatte blue cheese
A little milk or egg for glazing
What to do
- Pre heat oven to 200c /180c fan /gas 6.
- Place the shallots and asparagus in a griddle pan, add the oil and toss until lightly coated.
- Cook over a medium heat turning at regular intervals until softened and beginning to colour, remove the asparagus if it cooks quicker than the shallots.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan and allow to bubble and coat the shallots and asparagus. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Unroll the pastry and place on a baking tin, with a sharp knife cut a border around the pastry, approx 2.5 cm from the edge, tap the edges with a knife to separate the layers slightly and prick the middle with a fork several times.
- Spoon the shallots and asparagus onto the pastry case, inside the border and top with cubes of Dolcelatte. Brush the edges with a little milk or beaten egg and cook for approx 15 – 20 minutes until golden and risen.
- Serve warm with a watercress and rocket salad.