Celebrate British Tomato Week with Recipe of the day.
Recipe of the day is this Parmigiano Reggiano and Cherry Tomato Tart in honour of British Tomato Week.
This simple and savoury Parmigiano Reggiano and Cherry Tomato Tart is light, simple to make and serves six.
Parmigiano Reggiano and Cherry Tomato Tart Ingredients:
1 x 375g (13oz) ready-rolled puff pastry sheet, defrosted if frozen
2 tbsp red or green pesto sauce
75g (3oz) Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
9 cherry tomatoes, halved
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Beaten egg or milk, to glaze
2 tbsp pine nuts
Shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- Unroll the puff pastry sheet and cut into six equal squares.
- Using a sharp knife, score a border within each pastry square about 2cm from the edge, being careful to avoid cutting right through the pastry. Place on the baking sheet
- Spread the inner square of each piece of pastry with a little pesto sauce, and then sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Share the tomatoes between the tarts, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush the pastry edges with beaten egg or milk, then bake for about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the pine nuts over the tarts, and then bake for a further four or five minutes, until the pastry is risen and crisp.
- Cool for a few minutes, then serve, garnished with shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano.
The Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano Reggiano
Photography and Reportage: Steve Lee
Recipe and Food Styling: Sue Ashworth