Recipe of the day is this healthy quinoa, pea and mint lunch pot by Steve’s Leaves.
This quinoa recipe is brilliant for a healthy diet because quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods around; it is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids. Quinoa also contains almost twice as much fibre as most other grains, contains Iron which keeps red blood cells healthy and is rich in magnesium.
½ pot Perfectly Pickables Pea and Mint
¼ red onion, finely chopped
50g dried cranberries
25g pumpkin seeds
100g feta cheese
- Rinse the quinoa grains then add to a saucepan with 14floz water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes – until all of the water has been absorbed and the grains are cooked through but still al dente.
- Cut the broccoli into small pieces and steam for 3 minutes until just tender.
- Dry fry the pumpkin seeds in a frying pan for 2 minutes.
- Peel the orange removing all of the skin and pith. Cut segments from the whole orange between the pith and squeeze the juice from the pith – about 1 tablespoon.
- Stir the cranberries, pumpkin seeds and red onion into the quinoa along with the 1tbsp orange juice from the pith. Add the zest of half the orange. Season with salt and pepper and then add 1tsp olive oil. Stir thoroughly.
Place the tomato and broccoli at the bottom of your lunch pot; season with 1tsp olive oil then salt and pepper.
Top with a layer of the quinoa mix.
Top with crumbled feta cheese and orange segments.