Salad Niçoise Recipe:
A real classic dish that makes a perfect lunch or light dinner. This Salad Niçoise Recipe serves two, has a 20 minute prep time andd 10 minutes cooking time.
100g ﬁne green beans
2 large eggs
4 ripe plum tomatoes
1 small cos lettuce or 2 little gems
300g Cornish New potatoes, cooked and cut into ½ inch dice
8 salted anchovies
12 black olives
A few sprigs of ﬂat-leaf parsley
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
100ml extra virgin olive oil
2 small cloves of garlic, crushed
Crusty bread to serve
- Top and tail the beans and cook them for 5 minutes in salted boiling water. Drain and refresh in cold water.
- Boil the eggs for 5-6 minutes until they are just hard-boiled. Soak them under cold running water so they stop cooking and dark circles don’t form around the yolks.
- Cut a tiny cross in the skin at the round end of the tomatoes and dunk them into boiling water. After 30 seconds or so remove them and peel away the skins. Cut the tomatoes into quarters and remove the seeds.
- Wash the lettuce, tearing up the leaves if they are large, and put them in a deep serving dish or shallow bowl. Arrange the Cornish New potatoes, tomatoes, quartered eggs, anchovies, olives and beans on the leaves. Chop the parsley, not too ﬁnely, and add to the salad.
- Make the dressing by whisking the vinegar, mustard and oil together with the garlic and some salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and serve with crusty bread.