Recipe of the day is Parmigiano-Reggiano crisp canapes topped with lemon pepper cream and hot smoked salmon.
This canape recipe serves makes 10 canapes.
15ml Crème fraiche
Finely grated zest of one lemon
Fennel seeds, chopped
Grated and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, to serve
½ small fennel bulb
75g Hot smoked salmon, flaked
Salt and black pepper
50g Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1 tbsp plain flour
- Grease and line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Mix Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and plain flour, along with a good pinch of black pepper.
- Spoon teaspoon-sized rounds of this mixture onto the baking sheet and flatten slightly with the back of the spoon. The mixture should give 10 crisps, make sure there is plenty of space between each one, as the mixture will spread a little.
- Place the rounds under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted to make a golden brown crisp.
- Remove each crisp carefully using a pallet knife and leave to cool on greaseproof paper.
- Mix crème fraiche together with lemon zest and season to taste.
- To assemble, spoon a small amount of lemon crème fraiche on top of each crisp. Then sprinkle with a few fennel seeds, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and finely chopped fennel, before topping with flakes of hot smoked salmon and black pepper.
- Finally, garnish with sprigs of fresh fennel and serve.
Cook’s tip: Make things easy for yourself and prepare ahead. Both the crisps and lemon cream can be made in the morning, just keep the crisps in an air-tight container and refrigerate the cream