Recipe of the day is Slow Braised Lamb Shoulder with Pears and Potatoes. This delicious Lamb recipe serves 6-8 people and takes 5 hours 30 minutes to cook. (this dish is not recommended for cooking on a high heat.)
1.5kg lamb shoulder (boned and rolled, you can ask your butcher for this)
3 pears (peeled, cored and cut into quarters)
2 medium onions (sliced)
1tsp ground ginger
4 medium white potatoes (medium sized chunks, i.e. small roasties)
500ml dry cider
300g green beans (topped, tailed and halved)
300g carrots (peeled and cut at an angle in 1cm slices)
1 sprig of rosemary
Salt and pepper
1 pear to garnish
- Brush oil all over the lamb and season well with salt and pepper. In a pan, sauté the lamb on all sides to brown the meat and place into the Crock-Pot slow cooker (if you have a Crock-Pot slow cooker with a sauté function, you can use the removable pot on the hob and remove the meat to rest in another dish to continue the recipe).
- Using the same pan, sauté the onions and potatoes for 3-4 minutes until they start to colour and add these to the lamb in the Crock-Pot slow cooker.
- Place the carrots and rosemary directly in with the lamb. Sprinkle over the ginger and add the cider. Cover and cook on the low heat setting for 5 hours.
- Add the pears and cook for a further 15 minutes, then add the green beans for the final 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Peel the extra pear, core and slice it for presentation, giving extra colour and texture.